Joint Action to Strengthen Human Rights in the Transnistrian Region of the Republic of Moldova (Phase 1)
The Joint Action to Strengthen Human Rights in the Transnistrian Region of the Republic of Moldova project was aimed to facilitate access to a comprehensive package of integrated HIV and TB prevention, treatment and care services of assured quality for the people most at risk/key populations to HIV, TB in the civilian and prison sectors of the Transnistrian region.
This particular project was focused on providing support to ensure universal equitable access to quality, integrated and rights-based HIV prevention, treatment and care services for most at risk populations in the civilian and prison sectors of the Transnistrian region.
Specific objectives were streamlined around:
- Promote best international practices and standards on HIV integrated care in the region
- Advocate for pharmacotherapy with methadone as the policy to address drug addiction in the region
- Raise public awareness to combat stigma and discrimination of most affected populations to HIV
- 3 policy documents on integrated care developed and approved, promoting best international practices and standards on HIV integrated care in the region;
- 61 medical staff skilled to provide integrated care services on HIV (maternal care and prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV);
- 20 medical professionals specialized in drug dependency treatment and communicable diseases capacitated to provide high quality services using TreatNet tool;
- 77 specialists (health system and NGO staff) from both banks of Nistru river skilled to provide comprehensive package of quality integrated care for HIV / TB and IDUs and other key populations;
- A twinning platform between Moldova, and the left bank region and Belarus was created and consolidated;
- At least 3000 persons informed about HIV issues, like prevention, testing and discrimination of people living with HIV during the awareness events dedicated to AIDS Candlelight Memorial Day and World AIDS Day conducted on the both banks;
- Women from prisons nr.3 in Tiraspol benefit from modern and safe medical dental services in a refurbished medical unit according to international health standards;
- Human rights assessment of HIV policies conducted for the left bank region and recommendations available to improve those.